MetroWest Medical Center is the largest community health care system between Worcester and Boston. MetroWest Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, comprehensive care, at a location close to home. The 307-bed regional healthcare system includes Framingham Union Hospital, Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick and the MetroWest Wellness Center. MetroWest Medical Center has been named to the 2019 Americaâ��s 100 Best Hospitals List by Healthgrades.
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Director, Oncology Services, assesses the health care needs of cancer patients and formulates, implements, and evaluates a plan of care. Provides direct care, including the administration of chemotherapy, blood products, and other therapies related to cancer management. Functions as a resource person, educator, and counselor to patients and families dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Ensures quality and safe delivery of care to patientsin the following age groups: All ages; Neonate; Infancy; Toddler; Preschool; School age; Adolescent; Adult; Geriatric.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Performs an assessment of the medical, physical, and emotional status of cancer patients and families. Designs, implements, and evaluates a plan of care based on age appropriateness and educational abilities. Reviews and interprets diagnostic findings and participates in the development of a treatment strategy. Develops an individualized approach to care based on situations presented by the patient.
2. Provides direct patient care to each patient and family, including phlebotomy, administration of chemotherapy, and administration of blood products and medications associated with cancer treatment. Works to prevent or minimize side effects and complications of treatment and the disease process. Intervenes to minimize severity of predicted effects. Collaborates with physicians in a multidisciplinary manner for the safe, competent, integrated delivery of care.
3. Provides guidance and counseling to patients and family members, assisting with the various psychosocial responses to a diagnosis of cancer. Works to mobilize patients to identify and implement lifestyle changes which enhance quality of life. Provides educational materials and opportunities to allay fears and develop a positive approach to disease management.
4. Ensures safe and efficient patient triage daily within the unit. Adjusts the schedule and assignments as needed to ensure the best care delivery. Monitors patient flow and responds to needs in a prioritized manner. Works to ensure minimal waiting times and smooth flow.
5. Serves as a consultant for the Medical Center and community in the management of cancer care. Collaborates with the patient care units for the education and competency of the staff.
WORKING CONDITIONS: 1. Patient care environment.
2. Constant standing and walking.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities associated with the job.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS: 1. Level of knowledge equivalent to that ordinarily acquired through completion of a Bachelor's Degree in nursing. Current licensure as a registered nurse in Massachusetts.
2. Two years of out-patient or in-patient chemotherapy experience preferred.
3. Expert IV and phlebotomy skills. Familiarity with VAD's and Central Access Systems.
Primary Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
Facility: MetroWest Framingham Union Hospital
Other Locations: Metrowest Medical
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 2105010093
About MetroWest Framingham Union Hospital
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.